History of Trinity Episcopal Church
Trinity Episcopal Church, along the Mississippi River in Muscatine, Iowa, was completed in late fall 1841. Jackson Kemper, the first Episcopal Missionary Bishop in the country, visited Bloomington (now Muscatine) while the wood framed, two-story church was being constructed under the leadership of Matthew Matthews. These founder completed the first Episcopal Church in Iowa. (Trinity was also the first church building in Muscatine County).
In 1851 a group of members raised $2,500 to construct a new stone church at the same location near the corner of Walnut Street and Second Street in Muscatine, Iowa where we still proudly stand today. The existing church's cornerstone was laid on November 11, 1851.
During the 1970's Trinity Episcopal Church became a Jubilee Ministry Church. These Jubilee Centers empower the poor and oppressed in their communities by providing direct services such as food, shelter, and health care and also by advocating for human rights.